Saturday, March 12, 2011

Little gods and goddesses

I had a thought today. In our world of making sure that every child has a healthy self-esteem, we may have in fact created a generation that believes they are little gods and goddesses. Hear me out before you think I'm on a rant against young people....to tell the truth, I'm not sure I haven't fallen into the same trap!

I am a parent and have been blessed with two absolutely amazing and beautiful children...who are in fact very human. As a loving parent, however, I have at times forgotten that. It is a part of a parent's nature to want to protect their children....to help them forgo the mistakes and have a life that is better than the one the parents grew up with.  Should they experience disappointment, we want to wash it away....mainly because nothing hurts quite as much as when your children hurt. We love them and would do anything for them.....just as if they were a god. Whoops....did I just admit that?


Teachers are beginning to see the result of this god complex in their classrooms more and more each day. There have always been students who felt that the rules "didn't apply to them", but now there seem to be more than before. We teach children to stand up for themselves when they feel something isn't right - that is a good thing. However, a child thinks like a child and usually when they do something - they feel that it is right. That in turn makes the rules "wrong." They feel the right to argue about everything. I am trying to help my own children overcome this god mentality I have inadvertantly saddled them with. I heard once the phrase - "Obey first and then we'll talk about it." I don't want my children to blindly obey, but I don't want them to feel that they don't have to obey either!

As an adult, I suffer from the "god-complex" as well. Like many Christians, I feel like bad things shouldn't happen to me. I want everything to be peachy keen because, after all, I am a child of the Most Hight God! Right?

I tend to skim over passages that include things like Christ followers being thrown into prison (Paul), stoned (Stephen), and even crucified upside down (the disciples). I focus on the ones that say tell me God works all things for good for those who are called according to His purpose. I tend to forget that "good" does not always mean pleasant. I mean, come on! Liver is good for me, but it is definitely not pleasant!

As a nation, a family, and a person, I need to remember that God's ways are higher than my ways. He created everything and sees yesterday, today and tomorrow at the same time. He sees the completed picture, not just today's brush stroke. He loves me and I am His.....that means I need to obey. Oh, I can ask questions...but first I must obey.

If I really do believe He is God, then I must trust Him even when I do not understand. Truth be told - I am not a goddess....not even a little one. I have been adopted through the mercy and goodness of a sacrifice. Oh yeah, remember that? The one and only TRUE son of God was abused and crucified so that we might have the right to be called a child of God. I don't know about you....but that makes me stop and think.

As a child of God, I will always be loved; but I may not always be comfortable. I will always be accepted, but I may not always be protected from pain. I will one day be in heaven where there is no suffering, but first I have to live here on earth. The fact is, life here can sometimes get tough. Through it all, I will be loved.

So that's my rant for the day. Hope your day is filled with joy and peace and happiness....but in case it's not; rest in the knowledge that you are still loved and a child of God....and that will be enough.


Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV)

8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. 9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Remember when parents used to say "I'm doing this for your own good"? It made me look at Romans 8:28 in a new light...."And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."



For a more lengthy passage about God's thoughts, check out Job 38 - 42. (Link provided here)

2 comments:

Ross Jones said...

Loved it! Wow...seems like the Lord is saying something here. I think it's about wanting something real. How is it that I can "know him in the power of his resurection" but not the "fellowship of his sufferings?"
Not that I am looking for it...but it seems we definately run from it as well!

Donna said...

Well, it's definitely not one of those "feel good" kind of words. During my run today I pondered on those who think Christianity is for the weak, for those needing a "crutch." The toughest thing I know of is dying to self and to let go of that self part that feels like it's ours to decide.