Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cross-train...a life in balance


I am a study in extremes. I do everything to extreme...when I work, I work hard; when I play, I play hard; and when I sit, I fall asleep. I have never been what anyone would consider to be a poster child for balance. That's what today's Random Thought is all about - finding balance.

Those who read yesterday's post already know I have been "put in my place" as it were - humbled. Once again I tried to be "more than I could be" and came crashing down. That's really ironic, because what I've been trying to do is cross-train. For those who have ever done this, you know that cross-training is about working all your muscles in different ways so that when you go back to "your sport" you are fitter, more able to push forward. Cross training, according to wikipedia - the lazy man's reference, is listed: Cross-training (also known as circuit training) refers to an athlete training in sports other than the one that athlete competes in with a goal of improving overall performance.

According to another source found through Google, "Cross training is a great way to condition different muscle groups, develop a new set of skills, and reduce boredom that creeps in after months of the same exercise routines. Cross training also allows you the ability to vary the stress placed on specific muscles or even your cardiovascular system. After months of the same movements your body becomes extremely efficient performing these movements, and while that is great for competition, it limits the amount of overall fitness you possess and reduces the actual conditioning you get while training; rather than continuing to improve, you simply maintain. Cross training is also necessary to reduce the risk of injury from repetitive strain or overuse."

In other words, cross training is necessary for balance.

With that in mind, I've been thinking about doing a little "cross training" in my life. I'm starting to realize that some parts have gotten "over trained" and some have been neglected.

My job - definitely takes a lot of my thoughts and can be very stressful...it's getting a bit over trained. My children - most of the time they make sure they get my attention, but my husband sometimes gets "neglected" in the hurry of life. Need to do some cross training there. My friends - wonderful, but not nearly enough time spent there. Time spent exploring new relationships - non-existent. Get the picture? I'm a picture of a life out of balance...I need to cross train.

The same can happen in my spiritual life as well - lots of time reading my Bible, but little spent in prayer or reaching out to others makes for a life out of balance. Time spent in "service" but not in prayer or study will also result in a lop-sided life. I don't want to be "so spiritually minded I'm no earthly good or so earthly minded I'm no spiritual good!"

This idea of balance even reaches my "workout" routines. I can get so focused on the scales or on trying to push myself and forget that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. In the words of Lysa TerKeurst, "The process of getting healthy has to be about more than just losing weight and focusing on ourselves. It's not about adjusting our diets and hoping for good physical results. It's about recalibrating our souls so that we want to change for the right reasons: because we are fearfully and wonderfully made by God. And created to live in victory, not in defeat." 

Cross training is about a lot more than just working on my physical self...it's about living a life of balance. The only way to do this will be to put Christ in the CENTER and allow all the other parts to follow.

This is from another blog I found on balance. For the entire blog, click here: Finding balance

Scheduling your time: The only way we can get balanced is to schedule times for our activities. We start with the most important areas and work our way down to the least. Some should be daily activities like praying (preferably with your spouse) and spending time in the word. Other activities like exercise might be 3 times per week, etc. It is important to note that if you have never exercised or read the Bible, I suggest you start small and build up so you won’t get burned out. Start with just 5 minutes per day reading the Bible for example and add as you grow. The same with exercise – don’t commit to one hour of exercising if you have never done it. Just start with a few minutes once or twice per week and as you feel motivated add additional time. In addition, don’t work 7 days per week. Take off a day and relax to re-charge your batteries.


Cross training....finding balance...Yep, it's definitely an area where I've got some work to do.

Matthew 6:33 
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.





No comments: