Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I want to be "Cross-fit"

It's the latest craze and a LOT of my friends are "doing it." They've even talked me into giving it a try. I am talking, of course, about Cross-fit.

For those of you who have never heard of this madness, here's an explanation I found at crossfit.com. 
"The CrossFit program is wholly unique in its aims, prescriptions, methodologies, and implementation, writes Coach Greg Glassman in “Understanding CrossFit.”

We sought to build a program that would best prepare trainees for any physical contingency—prepare them not only for the unknown but for the unknowable as well."
link to article

Tonight as I read a blog written by one of my "cross-fit friends" the name just struck me, CROSS-fit. Do you see it, too? 

Someone asked me today why I wanted to try this; why did I keep pushing myself to work harder and harder? I guess I've been sort of dwelling on that question since they asked me because when I saw that word tonight it all came together. The reason I have become so diligent in exercising and trying to get/keep myself in shape is because I want to be fit to carry my cross and follow Jesus. I am not trying to make light of the verse that talks about taking up your cross...but as I looked at that word tonight, it became very clear to me WHY I do what I do.

This year I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes - something you'd expect to find in a kid. Trust me, I haven't been a kid for a LONG time. I could have gotten angry, but instead I am actually thankful. To begin with, thanks to a very persistent friend, I found out I was diabetic BEFORE I wound up in the hospital. Since my levels were 543 when we discovered it, I'd say that's a lot to be thankful for. 

Secondly, since my diagnosis I have really started to understand that I have to take care of this vehicle God has given me to sport around here in while I'm on earth. I may not have the fanciest model, or even the prettiest; but this is the vehicle He chose for me and it's my responsibility to take care of it! I don't get to trade it in this side of heaven so it's my choice to drive a clunker or keep it running smooth. That means I have to watch what I put in my "tank" and I have to include exercise to keep all the parts moving!

I want to be fit, not just to live and enjoy life, but to follow Him! I want to be prepared not just spiritually, but physically as well for the "unknown and the unknowable." I was created for a purpose and I don't plan on finishing out my days sitting in a barn rusting out! This little punch-buggy has got a lot to do! I would hate to stand before my Father one day and say, "I was just too tired and worn out to follow." 

Why have I made exercise a priority in my life? Simply because I want to be "Cross-fit" for the rest of my days. So whether you join in the latest craze or simply get up off the couch and go for a walk, I'd like to invite you to join me. You may be a sports car, an eighteen wheeler or something in-between; but it's never too late to start tuning it up. The journey's not over yet, my friend....

Luke 9:23

New International Version (NIV)

 23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

3 comments:

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

great message here Donna. So sorry to hear about the diabetes. My Mom and brother have diabetes, Dad died of a heart attack, and Mom has high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, and has had cancer. (scary heredity) So in addition to my passion for running, I "try" to be somewhat healthy. I continue to take baby steps each year toward a healthier eating plan. I fall off the wagon, but I feel my BEST when I'm eating right, and keeping the lbs. away.

You look amazing, by the way. The hard work is paying off. Let me know how you like the cross-fit. I'm still doing the Supreme 90 day workouts that you recommended. I like S90D a lot, but could use something new in my plan too.

Dixi said...

This is beautiful and powerful!! Thank you Donna for inspiring me every time I read your blog. Thanks for being transparent and allowing us to be motivated through you.
Love you, friend!!!

nmaisel said...

Donna, this is a great inspiration and a wonderful parallel. You know I see vintage vehicles driving around everyday. Most show their age, but occasionally you see a car that has been well taken care of. You know that the "Owner" expresses a lot of Love with His treasure. I am thankful that He is in the rehabilitation business as well.

Thanks for sharing your life !!