Monday, January 16, 2012

This Day.....




Today has been one of "those days" and I have to be honest - it kicked me in the gut. You know that "fight or flight" response they talk about? Well, today I wanted to run as far away as I could. 

For some reason the prophet Elijah came to mind. I wasn't thinking about when he was being all big and bad with the prophets of Baal, asking them where was their god. No, I was thinking more about the time when Jezebel sent him a message that caused him to run, sit under a juniper tree and request to die. (No, I didn't request to die, but I was cowering in fear.)

It all started with a diabetic episode that scared me. Next thing I knew I was trembling in fear! (No, it wasn't trembling caused by low blood sugar; I was trembling inside!) The next time I tried to workout, it was all I could do to not turn and run away.
Then I went to the doctor and got the basic, "This is something you'll have forever and it won't really get better but it will get worse" kind of facts. I walked out that door completely ready to find myself a juniper tree!

I went to my evening workout anyway...after all - it's what I do, but my heart wasn't in it. As I went around that track (very slowly!) I talked to myself. I had to remind myself that nothing had really changed about my situation...the only thing that changed was my perception of things. 
I was no longer looking at things in faith and doing what I could do; now I looked at the situation in fear. 
That's when this song came on my ipod: This Day by Steven Curtis Chapman. 
Check out the lyrics (emphasis mine)


"Yesterday the sky was bright and clear
I could see the sun and I could hear the song
Faith flowed like a river free and deep
And grace was not so hard to be believed
But that was yesterday
And what was close enough to touch
Now seems a world away
So what about this day

This day all His mercies are new
This day every promise is true
Father, help me to believe
Give me faith I need to know You
And trust You this day
This day

Who knows what tomorrow’s light will bring
Tears to cry or maybe songs to sing out loud
But only God can see that far away
And He made us for living day by day
‘Cause He wants us to see
That the God that He’s been every day of history
Is who He is this day

‘Cause You are the same yesterday and today and forever
Through every season Your truth and Your grace never change
Oh, Lord, I do believe that the God that You’ve been every day of history
Is who You are this day

This day…this day

This day Your mercies are new
This day Your promise is true
This day my hope is in You, Lord
This day"

Okay....even I could hear God trying to get my attention and help me adjust my point of view. Even though this weekend hasn't been what I like, tomorrow is a new day....and His mercies are new. Have a good week my friends.



For the entire story of Elijah's visit to the juniper tree, see 1 Kings 19.



Lamentations 3:22-23

New International Version (NIV)

 22 Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed,
   for his compassions never fail. 
23 They are new every morning;
   great is your faithfulness.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know Donna, your faithfulness to write so honestly encourages me greatly. I look to you as a spiritual mentor in many ways. You've always got a smile (even if you have to "crank" it in place) and you seem able to sort through all the daily clutter and constantly hear God's word for that moment. I'm encouraged to know that I'm not alone in my battle against fear and discouragement. God is faithful to give us what we need each day. Thank you for so often being that word of encouragement. :-)