Sunday, March 25, 2012

Always hungry...

This morning I went to the fridge to get some milk for my cereal and found, yet again, that the gallon jug was almost empty. I poured the last few drops over my cereal and made myself a mental note to pick up another gallon this afternoon. I find that now I just automatically pick up milk every time I go to the grocery store whether I think I need it our not - because with my son, it's more often need it than not!


At 14 years old, that boy eats ALL the time - he's always hungry! Of course, he has good reason to be hungry. He is always working out and I'm pretty sure he grows in his sleep! I can always tell when he's about to hit another growth spurt because the pantry will be bare-er than usual! I have to visit the grocery store almost every day simply to keep up with the demand!


All those moms out there recognize this phrase, "Mom, I'm hungry. Do we have anything to eat?" This is usually uttered less than an hour after a huge meal and while standing looking into the open fridge. Oh the joys of a growing boy.


That's when it hit me....of course he's hungry - he's growing! But does that mean that when I am NOT hungry for God's Word that I'm not growing? Am I not "working out" my faith so there's no real need for extra nourishment?  I should be consistently hungry and in need of nourishment...finding myself opening that Bible and saying "Hey God, I'm hungry! Do we have anything good to eat?"


Yep, I've got a bottomless pit disguised as a growing boy; and I'm thinking maybe it's time I joined him. It's time I worked up an appetite for more.....


Psalms 63:1 
God—you're my God! I can't get enough of you! 
   I've worked up such hunger and thirst for God, 
      traveling across dry and weary deserts. 




Matthew 5:6

"You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat.

No comments: