Saturday, March 17, 2012

It's all connected...

"Foot bone's connected to the ankle bone; ankle bone's connected to the leg bone...."


Lately I've been thinking a lot about how things are "connected" in my life. I remember a dear friend once telling me there was a definite connection between the physical symptoms we experience and what is going on in our lives spiritually. At the time, I think we were talking about back pain and she mentioned that usually meant you were trying to "carry a burden" that you were not meant to carry. No, that's not the same as saying it's "all in your head." It does, however, bring up something thoughts to ponder. 


We are a three-fold being...body, soul/mind, and spirit. It is impossible to separate one from the other - well, except by the Word of God. (Hebrews 4:12 - "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.") So whatever is going on in one would understandably effect the other two.


One article I read talked about the things we deal with each day, that fill our mind, effect our emotions and how we view the world. The author's friend was a police officer dealing with the world of drugs - understandably he saw the darkest emotions and actions of man and grew morose and cynical. She, however, worked in a flower shop and saw those coming in to celebrate life and love on a regular basis...she tended to see life in an entirely different perspective. We have to realize that which we constantly deal with makes a difference in our emotions.


Another article I read pinpointed different emotions and where it shows up in the human body, usually as pain. Lower back pain, something a number of people I love are dealing with, is often connected with the stress of finances. (With today's economy, many are literally 'feeling the pain.') Again...the connection is there. 


As a diabetic, I am constantly learning how what I eat effects my body. Putting the wrong combination of foods in can cause sugar spikes and emotional lows. My energy can suffer and my ability to process is definitely effected!


So what is the point of all this pondering? So what if everything is connected? Should I go on a diet of all organic, surround myself only with sunshine and flowers (not good for my allergies by the way - which are probably a symptom of some other area of weakness now that I think about it), and spend my days in meditation massaging my feet, which evidently are directly connected to every part of my body as well? I don't think so.


I think a more practical approach will simply to be aware of what I allow in my mind, body and spirit. When one part sends a "signal" that something is out of balance, I won't simply write it off as a bad day or getting old. I will look to see, instead, what may be out of balance in another area of my life. It's all connected. 


Oh, and I'll remember to sing the rest of that song I started with...."praise the name of the Lord!"

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

The Message (MSG)
 23-24May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together—spirit, soul, and body—and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. The One who called you is completely dependable. If he said it, he'll do it!

2 comments:

dawn said...

You are such a good writer! I enjoyed reading and doing some catching up on your blog!

Donna said...

Thanks Dawn....I feel the same about you! Love your blog!